Aug 25, 2009

We are all dumber having watched this

What can I say, I suffered through it and I thought my readers should too. Slate reviews three bikes in this video. The depth of knowledge displayed in the video is slightly deeper than that middle bit of frosting in a layer cake. We learn nothing about the bikes beyond what is plainly visible by looking at it. It reminds me of a time when a journalism professor told me after reading my essay that he was starting to wonder whether I'd read the correct chapters before writing. The reviewer uses the phrase "form over function" about the last bike, when that phrase pretty much applies to every dutch commuter bike. Chain guards and fenders are great, but so is a bike frame that isn't the equivalent of gaining 20 extra unneccessary pounds every time you get on it. On top of the total lack of anything interesting to say about the bikes, the reviewer finishes off by calling one of the bikes a fixed gear, even though it's clear from the video that it is a single speed with coaster brakes. Now, that might splitting hairs to some, but people who know bikes know the difference and you'd think you'd get someone with at least basic knowledge of cycling or commuting to do the review.

No comments: