Feb 3, 2009

Boonen gets first win of 2009

Well, Boonen takes the leader's jersey over at Qatar and a flat tire by Cavendish with 2k to go once again denies us the sprint duel we've been waiting for (definitely saying boo, not boo-urns).

CyclingNews has an interview with Sastre where he says he didn't want to stand in the way of Schleck brothers' progress and decided it was best to leave Saxo Bank. His departure means Saxo Bank will likely be working for one of the Schlecks at the tour de France. A lot of attention has been paid to whether Lance will ride the tour de france and whether Astana will really work for Contador or Lance. But in addition to that you'll have Sastre now on a different team and his former teammates working for themselves. It's going to be crazy crowded at the Tour this year when you add in the surprising Christian Vande Velde, as well as the consistent Denis Menchov and Cadel Evans (three guys who with a little better luck last year could have done even better at the Tour). You'll have Basso back from his doping ban and still only 31 years old. And, oh, also Astana will have Levi and Klooden, two other former podium finishers. I know July is far off, but I'm excited for it already!

I'll just have to settle for the upcoming Tour of California in the mean time. As I've mentioned, I'm moving and now I'm trying to consider what to do for TV. I had thought of going without cable or DirectTV, but I can't resist watching even Versus' limited coverage of the ToC. Suggestions on which way I should go? Bicycling mag has a cool slide show on some of the guys to keep an eye on in California. Check it out.

No comments: